Noun(1) the part of the day between noon and evening(2) a conventional expression of greeting or farewell
(1) I'll be back at three in the afternoon(2) It will be the highlight of an afternoon of fun and activity in the town centre.(3) the following afternoon(4) on one afternoon last July(5) at three o'clock in the afternoon(6) summer afternoon(7) I was a regular at the Saturday afternoon 'rush', which was the matinee for which we invariably queued up with ill-concealed impatience, then pushed and shoved our way forward when the doors were finally opened, paying our tuppence before dashing to grab a seat as near the front as possible.(8) Rain came on in the afternoon and in the evening the downpour increased.(9) he'll be here this afternoon(10) an afternoon walk(11) This afternoon 's events unfolded so quickly that it was difficult to fully comprehend.(12) Trains running along the busy railway line were halted during the afternoon and evening.(13) Summer is here with hot, humid days and regular afternoon storms.(14) Facilities on the complex include a swimming pool, pool side bar and supermarket. The property also enjoys afternoon sunshine.(15) He loved to spend an afternoon or evening exchanging jokes and stories over a long game of cards.(16) This afternoon we have bought a new sofa, a dining table and six chairs and a sideboard!
(1) after noon :: nach Mittag
(2) in the afternoon :: Am Abend
(3) this afternoon :: diesen Nachmittag
(4) yesterday afternoon :: gestern Nachmittag
(5) tomorrow afternoon :: morgen Nachmittag
(6) the afternoon :: der Nachmittag
(7) late afternoon :: Spätnachmittag
(8) early afternoon :: früher Nachmittag
(9) afternoon tea :: Nachmittagstee
(10) afternoon snack :: Nachmittags-Snack
1. good afternoon ::
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
That guy's got a rough
AFTERNOON ahead of him.
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 13
Better part of an AFTERNOON.
Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 1
Afternoon, men. Sheldon.
The Big Bang Theory Season 2, Episode 3
I was thinking about taking the AFTERNOON
off so I could experiment with Penny.
The Big Bang Theory Season 2, Episode 11
So anyway, we decided to go down
to City Hall this AFTERNOON
The Big Bang Theory Season 5, Episode 24
English to German Dictionary: afternoon
Meaning and definitions of afternoon, translation in German
language for afternoon with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of afternoon in German and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'afternoon'
What afternoon means in German, afternoon meaning
in German, afternoon
definition, examples and pronunciation
of afternoon in German language.