Noun(1) a very old person(2) a person who lived in ancient times
Adjective(1) belonging to times long past especially of the historical period before the fall of the Western Roman Empire(2) very old
(1) Often no more than a single lane, it coils around villages perched on precipices, past waterfalls and over ancient stone bridges.(2) An ancient sign warns of the danger of walking on the luscious looking sod on the edge of the cliffs.(3) I've now lost more than necessary, and am again able to wear ancient pairs of jeans from my youth.(4) Most of us realize that humanity made a grave mistake by considering ancient civilizations to be primitive.(5) His room is narrow, high-roofed, and cold, his mattress worn, his blankets ancient , but he does not care.(6) Brandon looked back at Lana, and noticed she was sobbing in the arms of a tall boy wearing an ancient football jersey.(7) According to the newspaper, the coin belonged to an ancient civilization that flourished in Al-Jouf.(8) I lashed the clothes that I had been brought to wear at the hospital into the bag, a couple of ancient pairs of socks that felt suddenly found and familiar.(9) Going down the Pacific Coast Highway I spotted an ancient looking sign for a place called Trader Ric's.(10) Coasting loose-limbed on an ancient bike, almost Cassius-faced in a green wool coat.(11) It has the backing of the Walmgate Against Crime Action Group, a consortium of residents and businesses which has been working behind the scenes to improve this ancient gateway to our city.(12) Spirit landed in the middle of Gusev Crater, a 95-mile-wide depression scientists believe contained a lake during the ancient past.(13) Temple Bar used to be located where the Strand meets Fleet Street, one of the ancient gateways into the City of London, named after the local Inns of Court.(14) Fang Binghai has collected over 200 ancient boxes over the past 13 years.(15) He said Love Lane was an historic footpath which was said to be the ancient way from the Forest of Galtres to the City of York.(16) His study thereby substantially advances the base of our awareness and knowledge of this fascinating period of our ancient past.
(1) ancient times :: Antike
(2) ancient history :: alte Geschichte
(3) in ancient times :: in alten Zeiten
(4) ancient city :: alte Stadt
(5) ancient world :: antike Welt
(6) ancient time :: alte Zeit
(7) ancient people :: antike Menschen
(8) since ancient times :: seit antiken Zeiten
(9) ancient monuments :: antike Monumente
(10) ancient civilizations :: alte Zivilisationen
1. of long ago ::
2. early ::
3. prehistoric ::
4. primeval ::
5. primordial ::
6. primitive ::
7. of yore ::
8. foregone ::
9. antediluvian ::
1. modern ::
2. new ::
3. recent ::
ancient, ancienter, ancientest, anciently, ancientness, ancients
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
It's a warm summer evening
in ANCIENT Greece.
The Big Bang Theory Season 3, Episode 10
I will marry the leader of an ANCIENT family.
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 5
No, because we don't celebrate
the ANCIENT pagan festival of Saturnalia.
The Big Bang Theory Season 2, Episode 11
We know from our
Vikings Season 1, Episode 7
the ANCIENT seat of Harrenhal,
Game of Thrones Season 1, Episode 8
English to German Dictionary: ancient
Meaning and definitions of ancient, translation in German
language for ancient with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of ancient in German and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'ancient'
What ancient means in German, ancient meaning
in German, ancient
definition, examples and pronunciation
of ancient in German language.