Noun(1) electronic equipment that converts sound into electrical signals that can be transmitted over distances and then converts received signals back into sounds(2) (phonetics(3) electro-acoustic transducer for converting electric signals into sounds; it is held over or inserted into the ear
Verb(1) get or try to get into communication (with someone
(1) to talk to sb on the phone(2) He jokes with him on the phone , finishes the call and continues at the point that he left off.(3) cordless phone(4) It has been shown that enlarging the phone set and using more alternative symbols to represent partial variations and attempting to use more refined acoustic models trained from accurate surface form transcriptions are of little benefit.(5) He held the phone to his ear for a few seconds after she hung up, in a sudden shock.(6) a receptionist answered the phone(7) I chat to one guy on the phone whose voice is so husky and his chest sounds wheezy if he talks for long.(8) a phone number(9) a few seconds later the phone rang(10) to answer the phone(11) She hung up and I stared at my phone blankly for a second before dropping it on my bed.(12) contact us by phone(13) After only a few seconds she put the phone down and looked back up at the two teens.(14) she's on the phone(15) Mr Lambert was sitting on the step outside and she gave him the phone to continue with the call.(16) The work he had to do at home was done in ten seconds flat after hanging up the phone .
(1) cell phone :: Handy
(2) mobile phone :: Mobiltelefon
(3) phone number :: Telefonnummer
(4) phone call :: Anruf
(5) on the phone :: am Telefon
(6) phone book :: Telefonbuch
(7) cellular phone :: Handy
(8) answer the phone :: das Telefon beantworten
(9) pick up the phone :: Telefon abheben
(10) phone booth :: Telefonzelle
1. telephone ::
2. speech sound ::
4. telephone ::
5. ring ::
phone, phoned, phones, phoning
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
I stole your PHONE,
I frisked you, I almost arrested you,
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 4
to pick up the PHONE!
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 16
I'm gonna get you
a second PHONE call.
Breaking Bad Season 2, Episode 8
and then I'm calling on
a pay PHONE, not a cell PHONE.
Breaking Bad Season 2, Episode 3
Pick up the PHONE.
Breaking Bad Season 5, Episode 16
English to German Dictionary: phone
Meaning and definitions of phone, translation in German
language for phone with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of phone in German and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'phone'
What phone means in German, phone meaning
in German, phone
definition, examples and pronunciation
of phone in German language.