Verb(1) move so that an opening or passage is obstructed; make shut(2) become closed(3) prevent from entering; shut out
Adjective(1) not open(2) used especially of mouth or eyes
(1) I ran into the house and slammed shut the sliding glass door.(2) Even the fact that you can shut the Gaza Strip and prevent people from there going to their leader's funeral is not really right.(3) He and his fellow guards handcuffed the men and took them outside, he closed the door shut , and the slaves were back to work.(4) the door shut behind him(5) Macys, which claims to be the world's biggest department store, was also shut for a time.(6) I shut my eyes and moved blindly forward, towards that door.(7) The work at Longsight from August 23 to 31 means a vital link in the service will be shut for nine days.(8) It will also shut is Canadian business tomorrow, and has chopped 25 staff.(9) Just as the girl shut the door Yuki pulled herself upright and staggered to the bed.(10) When she went back to get the other two she found the door had shut behind her.(11) the accident and emergency departments will shut(12) It is expected that the roads will be shut until at least 4pm today and that there will be major traffic congestion.(13) they ought to shut the path up to that terrible cliff(14) It was thought the road would be shut until about 2pm.(15) The moment one shop opens, others that stay shut lose business.(16) The pages began to move, but Lombard shut the book before he could see what his question had conjured.
(1) shut up :: halte den Mund, halt den Rand, Halt die Klappe
(2) shut your mouth :: Halt deinen Mund
(3) shut out :: aussperren
(4) shut the door :: schließ die Tür
(5) to shut :: schließen
(6) shut-in :: shut-in
(7) to shut down :: Herunterfahren
1. closed ::
2. close ::
4. slam ::
5. fasten ::
6. put the lid on ::
legte den Deckel auf
7. bar ::
8. lock ::
9. secure ::
1. open ::
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
LOTHBROK: Shut up, man.
Vikings Season 1, Episode 1
Breaking Bad Season 2, Episode 2
Shut up! Move!
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 4
It's a gesture. Shut up.All right, sorry.
The Big Bang Theory Season 12, Episode 12
Shut up and focus, Jesus!
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 5
English to German Dictionary: shut
Meaning and definitions of shut, translation in German
language for shut with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of shut in German and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'shut'
What shut means in German, shut meaning
in German, shut
definition, examples and pronunciation
of shut in German language.