Noun(1) the real physical matter of which a person or thing consists(2) the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience(3) the idea that is intended(4) material of a particular kind or constitution(5) considerable capital (wealth or income(6) what a communication that is about something is about(7) the property of holding together and retaining its shape(8) a particular kind or species of matter with uniform properties
(1) I have no inspiration or inclination to write anything with any substance at the moment.(2) His use or indeed abuse of what is after all an illegal substance not only in sporting terms but in terms of the laws of the land in which he lives, sets a quite appalling example to those youngsters.(3) he had yet to accomplish anything of substance(4) In the absence of having anything of substance to write about, I have updated my profile and fiddled around with my links.(5) Does he have anything of substance to say behind his posing?(6) On each of those issues there are half way measures which he can offer to placate the Neocons without really doing anything of substance for them.(7) Cocaine, the last time I checked, was an illegal substance in the U.S. as well as in Major League Baseball.(8) He would say that but the company now has a full complement of drivers, which suggests there is substance to his claim.(9) And, like an onion unraveling, one wonders, underneath it all is there anything of substance ?(10) A great deal of deception concerns form or opinions - not substance or facts.(11) But it's almost impossible to see how much substance is behind these claims.(12) So Parliament must have intended that the part of the house, in order to be material, would be of sufficient substance or significance to have an effect of some kind.(13) His first sample was found to contain the banned substance methamphetamine, popularly known as the recreational drug meth - or, ironically, ice.(14) The new accuser can be produced as a prosecution witness in the current case if initial assessment finds substance in the claims.(15) The stomach produces juices containing a powerful substance called hydrochloric acid.(16) Appearance should be balanced with content, style with substance , the medium with the message.
(1) substance abuse :: Drogenmissbrauch
(2) substance over form :: Substanz über Form
(3) chemical substance :: chemische Substanz
(4) ground substance :: Grundsubstanz
(5) drug substance :: Wirkstoff
(6) controlled substance :: kontrollierte Substanz
(7) in substance :: das Wesentliche
(8) active substance :: aktive Substanz
(9) toxic substance :: giftige Substanz
(10) harmful substance :: schädliche Substanz
1. material ::
2. solidity ::
4. content ::
5. character ::
6. wealth ::
7. marrow ::
8. meaning ::
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
The SUBSTANCE burns so hot,
it melts wood, stone, even steel,
Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 5
A rare SUBSTANCE.
Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 7
Do you think the coffee had
any other SUBSTANCE?
Money Heist Season 3, Episode 7
The SUBSTANCE is fire given form.
Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 5
Manufacture of a Schedule II
Breaking Bad Season 2, Episode 4
English to German Dictionary: substance
Meaning and definitions of substance, translation in German
language for substance with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of substance in German and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'substance'
What substance means in German, substance meaning
in German, substance
definition, examples and pronunciation
of substance in German language.