Verb(1) know and comprehend the nature or meaning of(2) perceive (an idea or situation(3) make sense of a language(4) believe to be the case(5) be understanding of
Adjective(1) fully apprehended as to purport or meaning or explanation(2) implied by or inferred from actions or statements
(1) As with all his films to date, his understatement proves to be his greatest strength.(2) I only read it for the first time last year and it's no understatement to say it was a life-changing read.(3) More than half a century later the country has moved from understatement to groundless exaggeration.(4) The film was an exercise in stylish understatement , and was all the better for it.(5) It's a hilarious film full of gems of comic absurdity that are mixed in with nonchalant understatement .(6) To say the game could have done with a goal then is understatement .(7) The sequence is thus all the more powerful for its brevity and understatement .(8) For those in need of a true soul album, loaded with understatement , look no further.(9) This song set the tone for the downbeat understatement that the event traditionally displays.(10) This is a harrowing play made all the more poignant by its understatement .(11) a master of English understatement(12) One of the ways he achieves the element of understatement is by usually talking quietly.(13) Either way, it is clear he was a writer who preferred hint and understatement , a wink instead of a nudge.(14) to say I am delighted is an understatement(15) Apart from his many other talents, he is also master of the understatement .(16) He was a natural diplomat, too, cool as a breeze under pressure and a master of understatement .
(1) understand :: verstehen
(2) not understood :: nicht verstanden
(3) it is understood :: ist es selbstverständlich
(4) be understood :: verstanden werden
(5) it's understood :: es verstanden
1. accepted ::
2. agreed-upon ::
3. acknowledged ::
4. assumed ::
6. unwritten ::
7. unspoken ::
8. taken for granted ::
9. tacit ::
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
Understood, sir. We're alert.
Money Heist Season 3, Episode 8
The Big Bang Theory Season 2, Episode 7
I mean, to the extent that he ever UNDERSTOOD
complete sentences in the first place.
Game of Thrones Season 6, Episode 3
The Big Bang Theory Season 6, Episode 6
I never UNDERSTOOD why...
people said that.
Westworld Season 3, Episode 8
English to German Dictionary: understood
Meaning and definitions of understood, translation in German
language for understood with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of understood in German and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'understood'
What understood means in German, understood meaning
in German, understood
definition, examples and pronunciation
of understood in German language.