Noun(1) a piece of open land for recreational use in an urban area
Adjective(1) belonging to or participated in by a community as a whole; public(2) having no special distinction or quality; widely known or commonly encountered; average or ordinary or usual(3) common to or shared by two or more parties(4) commonly encountered, or familiar(5) being or characteristic of or appropriate to everyday language(6) of or associated with the great masses of people(7) of low or inferior quality or value(8) lacking refinement or cultivation or taste(9) to be expected; standard
(1) The first measures to divide the common lands among local communities were taken in the late 1780s.(2) If we really want to create a common culture, we need to ask the awkward questions of what our society believes in and be prepared to fight for hearts and minds.(3) Contact with hot items, chemicals or electricity are also fairly common causes of the burn injury.(4) Brazil shares common borders with 10 other countries in South America.(5) Yet, because the common mass of humanity was so far beneath him, he had nothing but contempt for it.(6) George offered a principle for distinguishing individual rights from common rights.(7) In my garden I am happily growing the common primrose, cultivated cowslips, and primulas.(8) Not a nation founded on race but on a common culture, respects and language.(9) He seemed to me to be really old, but even in death to be lacking in that common frailty I tended to view all the elderly as possessing.(10) Grouse are common birds in Ontario forests and are one of the tastiest as well.(11) The similarity exists but is not likely to be an indication of common ancestry.(12) The common wolf spider has no web, but the female is a gentle parent who encases her eggs in a silken bundle which she carries wherever she goes.(13) One thing he's learned is that common weeds can treat everything from stomach aches to open wounds.(14) Today it is common to see men taking care of their children in public.(15) It is, in a way, the only menace with multiple potentials to perturb the normal life of the common man.(16) Serious health problems are more common than people think.
(1) common sense :: gesunder Menschenverstand
(2) in common :: gemeinsam
(3) common law :: Gewohnheitsrecht
(4) common stock :: Stammaktien
(5) common cold :: Erkältungs
(6) common ground :: Gemeinsamkeit
(7) common noun :: gängiges Substantiv
(8) have in common :: gemeinsam haben
(9) common people :: gemeines Volk
(10) common name :: gemeinsamen Namen
1. ordinary ::
2. usual ::
3. widespread ::
4. collective ::
5. uncouth ::
6. mutual ::
7. plebeian ::
8. vernacular ::
9. coarse ::
1. extraordinary ::
2. infrequent ::
3. rare ::
4. seldom ::
5. uncommon ::
6. unfamiliar ::
7. unusual ::
common, commonest, commonly, commonness
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
in COMMON except for the people
we're involved with.
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 3
A COMMON superstition.
Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 1
Look at that, we have something in COMMON.
The Big Bang Theory Season 10, Episode 8
- It's a COMMON mistake.
- Not the first one I've made today.
The Big Bang Theory Season 1, Episode 17
I can speak the Common Tongue, if you wish.
Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 10
English to German Dictionary: common
Meaning and definitions of common, translation in German
language for common with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of common in German and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'common'
What common means in German, common meaning
in German, common
definition, examples and pronunciation
of common in German language.